Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Birth Story of Kesha Lee Garate Adams

Mom with a newly born Kesha Lee!

I went to see my OBGYN on Friday and he said that things were looking "ready" down there and the baby was in a head down position and that he was pretty sure I would be having my baby over the weekend. (whenever a pregnant woman hears this we all smile and nod because we know that person is jinxing in to being pregnant past our due date) When we left his office we had instructions to call him if I was having contractions every 5 minutes.

Although slighty skeptical, we returned home and kicked our prep in toy high gear (we hadn't finished prep yet since we still had two weeks... makes sense, right?)

Well I had been having contractions more frequently over the last couple of weeks and my doctor's internal exam upped the frequency of my contractions. On Friday they were coming every 8 minutes until around midnight, when they stopped. Saturday brought more contractions at 8 and 6 minutes apart. By Sunday at 6:30 am my contractions were fairly regular at 5 and 6 minutes and stronger. By mid morning I was averaging contractions every 5 minutes and mid afternoon 4.5 minutes. We called our OBGYN and he asked us to meet him at the clinic.

Upon arrival (around 3:30) he checked me and I was only at 3cm! He said I was 80% effaced but that the neck of my uterus was still completely back (which means no baby anytime soon). He let me labor for 4 more hours then came back to check me again. I was still exactly the same except I was up to 3 contractions in 10 minutes instead of 2. He left me for another 2 hours and did a third internal exam around 9. I was exactly the same as 2 hours before (and 6 hours before) except now I was having a contraction every 2 minutes for 75 to 80 seconds each.

This entire time Kesha had been in a -2 station for the entire time and was not descending in to my pelvis which was keeping my labor from progressing (he said if the baby is not pressing on the cervix it would never open). Right before the doctor left he told me that I could keep labor up as long as I wanted but she wasn't going anywhere. Basically I was just having contractions and they weren't doing anything. My body was working for nothing and the strong contractions I was having would have eventually stressed her out, threatening her health. He said I could opt for a c-section and they could get a team together with time, or I could stay having contractions and when the baby started stressing they would take me in for an emergency c-section. He gave us 2 hours to think about it.

I was really upset because we had planned for a drug-free, natural birth. I called the doula who was going to help us (we hadn't brought her in yet because my labor wasn't progressing), she is almost an OBGYN herself and has helped deliver hundreds of babies, and she swung by the clinic to talk and calm me down. We talked about how the most important outcome is a healthy baby and how she felt the doctor's recommendation was a good one, etc. After that chat Arturo and I talked and decided this was no longer about how we wanted the birth to go, but was about getting Kesha out safe and healthy. So we had them set up the c-section.

I couldn't have asked for a better team if doctors! Our anesthesiologist was wonderful and worked with my OBGYN to get me calmed down and of course drugged up before the operation (I was really nervous and still in shock about having to make the c-section decision), my OBGYN operated on me and is just a wonderful overall professional, and the pediatrician filmed and took pictures during the entire procedure. All three had wonderful senses of humor and did all they could to make me feel comfortable (including throwing out the sentences they knew in English). They dressed Arturo up in full operation gear and let him come in with me for the entire procedure. It was wonderful to have him there holding my hand!

Kehsa was born at 11:50 PM on September 5th. They showed her to me and let me touch her then whisked her off to have all of the basic procedures done. Arturo went with the pediatrician and was able to watch everything. Kesha came out healthy and with lots of hearty crying. She even got a 9 on her 1 min Apgar, and 10s on her 5 and 10 minute Apgars! Go Kesha!

When it was all over the doctor told us that she was even higher up than he originally thought and I could have labored until the cows came home and it wouldn't have done anything. She never would have come out.

Kesha came out at 11:50pm on Sun, Sept 5th at 38 weeks gestation. She weighed 6.9lbs, and measured 49cm (about 19 inches). We have been home since Monday evening and are all doing really well!

We are so glad to have her in our lives! Kesha we love you very much!

Kesha Lee Garate Adams, 1/2 day old

10 comments:

  1. Happy family back home...just wishing we could hold her. Love to you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that the delivery went well! Especially that the c-section was your decision and not an "emergency" section! And that's a really good size for a first baby and a girl at that! She's beautiful and you look great! Hope she's letting you get plenty of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the little woolly hat she's wearing. Adorable! Keep up the blogging, 'mom'

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty little girl, just like her mom!
    Looks like Kesha is starting out right with you, letting you know things are going to be HER way! Hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story! You're a strong mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that everything turned out allright for you!! Your daughter is beautiful - One word of advice: get your sleep in as often as possible while she is sleeping. I did not follow that advice when my Isabella was born and now, two years later, I still feel like I have not recovered. That may have something to do with my age though LOL!!! Lots of luck and best wishes to you, Arturo and Kesha!!!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and Arturo. Kesha is a beautiful baby.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca,
    Thanks for sharing your birth story. I am a doula and live in Cuenca. You mentioned that you had a doula, just wondering if you could connect me with her. I thought I was the only doula in Cuenca. I'm working at a birthing center here in Cuenca with a wonderful OB. Thanks, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane,
    We just chose to use our Lamaze instructor as a Doula. She is studying to be an OB and is almost done with her schooling and became a certified Lamaze instructor while living in the U.S. Her name is Rocio Samper and her email address is chiosamper@yahoo.com. What clinic do you work out? You should publish information online about your services or pass your information around the expat community because when I was looking for a doula and a birthing center here it was extremely hard for me to get started and even harder to find doctors that I liked. I ended up with Xavier Molina who I loved, but it would be great for you to really get your info out there so people know how to get in touch with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the information. I'm volunteering at the clinic Dulce Espera with Dr. Elbia Marinez. She has been wonderful to be with during her births. She gives her families the choice of waterbirths and vertical birth. She really believes and encourages "normal" birth. She is located on Av. de las Americas across from Coral Centro above the Fybeca. I will send Rocio an email, thanks again for the information and congratulations on becoming a new mom!

    ReplyDelete