Sunday, November 21, 2010

A World Without Changing Tables

In the States we take many small amenities for granted. One such amenity being the public restroom changing table.

In Cuenca, there is ONE public restroom changing table that I know of, and it's in a baby store (they would be foolish not to cater to their own clientele). Everywhere else, you take what you get. I normally end up changing Kesha on a marble counter top, blocking her body with mine (as there are no security features on counter top), getting hit repeated by swinging bathroom doors as people enter and exit the restroom, and other fun tales of baby changing (you should see me clean up #1 and #2 that's been done once the diaper has been taken off and all her clothes... I'm turning in to a true pro!). I have even done a diaper change with someone holding Kesha! (THANK YOU LORENA!)

Sometimes, when we live outside of what we are accustomed to we are asked to stretch ourselves, think of things in new ways, and become resourceful. So, am I upset that there are no baby changing tables in public restrooms? If you ask me on my fourth diaper, two #1s and one #2 without a diaper, and a clothing change, I may tell you yes. But it has taught me to think outside of the box and made me a more resourceful mom. I am happy for the challenge and say that we will adjust to whatever life throws at us!

Being a new parent in Cuenca is an adventure and I love it!

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes is takes us awhile to realize that all these struggles are good for us and make us better people.. sounds like you are getting there alot faster than some of us Moms.. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete