Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cangrejo (Caan-grey-hoe)

Cangrejo. Pronounced caan-grey-hoe.
Also known as crab, or my husband's favorite food.
Cooked correctly, it is his Kryptonite.


No one makes your favorite food like mom, and today Chela was in full cangrejo cooking mode.
We headed out to the feria libre around 9 and bought 24 brightly colored, Ecuadorian blue crabs.
We went in search of the perfect platanos verdes (green plantains), albaca (basil), and limes to add to the dish. Then we were headed home to clean and prepare the creaturas for cooking.

Chela and Arturo scrubbed the live crabs with toothbrushes until all of the dirt was off (I think Arturo only got pinched twice. Chela didn't get pinched at all. She's a pro. But don't worry, Arturo got his revenge.), while Kesha and I watched intently discussing the colors found on the crabs' bodies (thrilling conversation topic, I know).





Once washed, the crabs were stashed in a laundry hamper until the chefess was ready for the next phase. I missed this phase due to a much needed diaper change for Kesh, but I returned to find the crabs in the sink. When I asked if they were dead Arturo said no. When I said, "oh, so they're alive", he also said no. So, I have no idea if the crabs in this photo are dead or alive...




Randy and Karen arrived to partake in the crab luncheon.


The caldo was prepared, crabs tossed in, salad distributed, table set, juice made...






Then the crabs were devoured...






Great lunch!

1 comment:

  1. It takes nerves of steel to prepare live crabs but they are so delicioso! Looks great though I think I would wuss out on the live factor ;)

    http://freezecheese.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete