Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving, far away from home, yet full of friends and family

I loved this year's Thanksgiving experience!
I have been in many countries for Thanksgiving (England, Argentina, Australia, and Ecuador), however, my 2010 Ecuador experience takes the cake.

Normally, my mom cooks our TDay dinner, or we do it potluck style with the extended family. This year, we did potluck style, but I had to pull out my cooking magic, making "pumpkin" pie (really squash pie, but you could hardly tell the difference), sweet potato casserole, gravy, whipped cream, and biscuits from SCRATCH (plus I made coffee, cooked green bean, and helped clean and decorate... and with a three month old to take care of... go momma go!)

Karen and Rand made the turkey, which was AMAZING! They insist that there is no recipe, but we'll get it out of them! Tresa and Edd brought apple pie, pecan pie, and ice cream (the pecan pie was heavenly! I didn't try the apple pie, I was too full, but I'm assuming it was incredible as well! The rest of the guests brought whiskey and wine.

It was a very fun evening with a wonderful mix of extranjeros and Ecuadorians. I missed my family back home, but am thankful to have had such wonderful people by my side here in Cuenca.

Here are some photos from the evening's festivities (although most of them are blurry because I took tem with my phone's camera), and links to the recipes I used.

Hoping everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Becca


Making the "pumpkin" pie


Miss grumpy pants helping set up.


The dessert table set-up

The buffet table set-up


The turkey


Part of the Thanksgiving dinner (turkey, sweet potato casserole, and green beans)


Ricardo carving the turkey


Karen, Lorena, and Tresa

Johana, Cristobal, Arturo, Randy, and Ricardo chowing down

 Gladys and Karen

The boys... Arturo, Ricardo, Juanacho, and Cristobal

Graciela and Gladys

 People serving themselves (look at that great salad made by Alex and Johanna!)


Karen and Kesha

 Julie, Alex and Ricardo's daughter

Randy


 Edd and Jannie (Karen and Randy's friend who lives in Loja and came to celebrate with us!)

Cristobal, Kesha, and Johanna

 Graciela, Kesha, and Johanna


No comments:

Post a Comment