Friday, June 7, 2013

Traveling with a toddler - part 2: packing

Transferred from my old blog.com account. Original post written on December 16, 2012.

Packing is one of the easiest, yet hardest things about traveling anywhere. It is so easy to overpack and so easy to forget important items.

I would love to report that I am extremely organized about my packing... making lists, laying everything out, checking and double checking what I have put in my bag, and only packing the most essential, practical items. But that is by no means the case.

My packing always starts far before our adventure begins, partially out of excitement, and partially out of laziness/lack of desire to be washing all the clothes I have to pack a night or two before we travel. I typically store my suitcases in a separate room and slowly bring clothes I think we might need and throw them in. Because clothes are so expensive in Ecuador I typically shop when I'm in the U.S. This allows me to keep my outfits to a bare minimum, packing around five to seven complete outfits for Kesha and the same number for myself. Lastly, the packing of gifts is always essential. These always go in the checked luggage. I also pack a suitcase inside of a suitcase in order to bring back all of the items we are gifted and purchase during our visit.

Suitcase inside of a suitcase
In my carry ons I packed Kesha's plane ride entertainment, her food and toy surprises, several changes of clothes for both of us (you ever know when a "potty trained" two year old will pee on your lap, or when someone might get sick or spill food on you, or other similar mishaps may occur). I also packed my laptop and a book. But truly there are very few essentials I have to make sure get in my bag to be able to travel. What are our travel essentials?
  • Kesha's and my Ecuadorian passports (we can't leave Ecuador without them)
  • Kesha's and my U.S. passports (we can't enter the U.S. without them)
  • Kesha's vaccination record (I have no idea which vaccines she's had, so better to have her record just in case)
  • A notarized permission letter from my husband allowing me to take Kesh out of the country without him
Some of our travel essentials

Packing the carry ons in truly the hardest task. Since I opted to travel without a stroller this time (I want to bring our Maclaren umbrella stroller back with me) I had to think about weight and feasibility, since more often than not a tired toddler wants to be carried.

In the end I packed her little backpack with many of her toys, yet kept it light enough for her to carry. I ended up checking my "wheely" carry on, taking advantage of  customs in Miami to stock up on additional items I needed for the rest of the trip and/or changing out clothes that we might need, and only carried on my satchel bag.

The two carry ons
K's backpack

What are your tips on packing for your family's international adventures? What are your packing essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment