Wednesday, June 5, 2013

To my girls

My Dearest Kesha Lee,

I can't believe this is the first time I've ever sat down to write you a letter. Today is a sick day for me, you are at school and your Nana is watching your sister. I don't allow myself much time to just sit and do things like this, and I wish I had before now.

The last few months of your life (really the last third of the year) has brought many changes. Your Mama couldn't leave the house to play with you any more, you had to spend more time with other people, and at the very end of it all we brought home another little girl to be part of our family. I can't imagine how trying and confusing this time must be for you. However, you are a firecracker, and are handling it with a air of normalcy and your head held high. We both have our days that I'm sure we wish we could do over. We have both shed tears and both said "I'm sorry" more times than I can count. But, we have also shared smiles, songs, and finally, after months of waiting, outdoor time together again.

I can't believe what a joy you are. What a spark, a breath of fresh air, a charming, wonderful, bright little girl. 

Looking at pictures of you makes me smile and want to see you and spend time with you, listening to you sing, watching you dance and leap around the room, hearing your mixed Spanish/English lingo. 

You are already an amazing big sister (even though I know the transition has not been an easy one). You wake up every morning to look for your Ñaña.  You want to be near her, kiss her, hug her, love her, and share you secrets with her (yes, you are already whispering secrets in her ear). I know as you both grow you will be such a shining star in her life. I am thankful that you two will have one another.

Again, I know this has been hard for you, but please keep being the vibrant and unique little girl that you are. We love you so much! Know you are one of a kind and could never be replaced.




Besos and all the love in the world!
Mommy


________________________________________________________________________________


Miss Kalah May,

How time has flown! You are now almost 1 month old. My dramatic pregnancy with you seems like a distant memory, it's almost hard to imagine what it was like to have you in rather than out.

I'm sad you will be the last baby in our home, but am so thankful to have you here with us. You complete our family and I couldn't be more thrilled to have two beautiful little girls. What a wonderful family we have!




You look so much like your sister, but seem to have quite a different personality. Only time will tell if you two will be lookalikes or not, and which of your personality traits will spring forward. As for now you are a very relaxed and sleepy baby. You take just about everything in stride, including the boisterous nature of your big sister, sleeping through an incredible amount of insanity and noise that this household generates. I can't wait until the day that you are old enough to add to the craziness!


Top: Kesha Lee
Bottom: Kalah May

You have grown by leaps and bounds and in spite of all of the pregnancy issues we encountered during the final trimester you have been relatively healthy during this first month of your life. 

We found out yesterday that you have the same milk protein intolerance that your sister had, which means no dairy for your mama for the next six months. 

You were quite jaundice your first week of life, so much so that they did blood tests to check your liver function. Your bilirubin was slightly elevated so we were ordered to sunbathe you in the window for one hour in the morning and one hour in the afternoon. We are thankful that we got to keep you at home and avoided a hospital stay. Although you are still a bit yellow your jaundice has moved up from your knees to your chest and you are looking much peachier in color.


My little jaundice girl
Not a very good picture of you, but you can see how yellow you were.

This week you had your first cold. Your papi was out of town when you got sick, so between your Nana and I we wrangled you and your sister to the other side of the city in a taxi and got you checked out. It is a basic cold, but still scary when you wake up at night crying because you can hardly breathe. You are now learning the joy of saline spray and the snarfer, and are handling your treatment quite well.

We love you so much and can't wait to see what is to come!
Love Mommy

1 comment: