Friday, April 19, 2013

Simple Pleasures (recipe)


I truly believe that many times the more simple your food is the better it is!

We cook almost everything from whole, raw ingredients in our home, and I enjoy being able to savor the flavor that comes from each ingredient. Desserts are no exception.

Lately I have become frustrated with the ideas that turn up on Pinterest's food boards. Most recipes called for canned this or 10 jars of different types of pre-made sauce (yes, I realize this is an exaggeration, but you get the point). This just makes my stomach churn. I know part of my nausea in reviewing these recipes is the pregnancy talking, but the other part is my love for simple food in which I can identify and enjoy the essence of the dish's components. 

One of my favorite desserts to make is stewed sugared berries topped with mascarpone cheese and mint. And since it is getting to be berry seasons for those of you up North, I figured it a good time to share the "recipe" for this very simple, yet refreshing, treat! (for those of you in Ecuador, or other parts of the world with a year round growing season, you can enjoy this recipe any time!)


What you'll need...


  • A bunch of berries - the quantity will depend on how many people are eating (you can use blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, strawberries, or a mixture... I used mora, a variety of mulberry, and strawberries because blackberries and raspberries are not native to this part of the world)
  • Raw sugar or panela to taste (I don't like my berries too sweet, but some may prefer their berries a bit sweeter)
  • Mascarpone cheese (enough for 1 Tbs per plate)
  • Powdered sugar
  • Sprigs of fresh mint (one small spring per plate)

What to do...

Step 1
Wash your berries and stick them in an appropriate-sized pot with a bit of water. Berries have a lot of juice of their own, which will come out when they start cooking, so be careful not to add too much water or you will overcook the berries in an attempt to reduce the amount of liquid in the pot. If you put in enough water to cover the bottom of the pot you should be fine.

My mora berries with water (I love the color of this fruit!) 

Step 2
Cook your berries until soft. Add sugar as you cook.

My mora and my raw sugar


My cooked mora and strawberries

Step 3
Let your berries cool. I didn't put mine in the refrigerator, but if you like cold berries you can chill them. I prefer mine room temperature as the mascarpone cheese will be cold. 


Step 4
Serve your berries in to bowls, dust with powdered sugar, top with a tablespoon of mascarpone, and finish off with a sprig of mint. Eat and enjoy!

The finished product!

1 comment: