Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Name Game

Boy names are hard.

Our baby is due in about 3 months and we still have no names on our list that both Arturo and I agree on. I've scoured naming websites, talked to friends, looked at maps, and found very few inspirations.

During my searches I came across a website called Nancy's Baby Names, and noticed that in the past she had done write-ups for people who had no idea where to start naming their children... who could turn that opportunity down?! I decided to contact her to see what she said, but on her contact page was this disclaimer "Please note that I rarely write baby name suggestion posts nowadays, due to time constraints. If you’d like to send me your information anyway, remember to include your blog’s URL."

I went for it anyway and sent her the following email:


We are a mixed family (North American/Ecuadorian). We live in Ecuador and have a 2.5yo daughter named Kesha Lee who has a traditional Ecuadorian combined last name (Garate Adams, the first part of our last name is pronounced Gah-ra-teh).
I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with a boy and we can’t come up with names that both my husband and I agree upon. We both have very typical names (I am Rebecca Lee, he is Christian Arturo but goes by Arturo), but we would like something original, yet not totally weird for our son. Something like Kesha. You can pronounce it in both English and Spanish. It’s not too long, and it’s not one of those names that teachers will have a pre-existing bias about her when she steps foot in the classroom! (Basically, she can create her own personality!)
The only name my husband and I can agree on is London, but I’m not convinced and don’t think that naming a boy London, considering the current feminine trend for this name, is a good choice.
We own an international immersion program company here in Ecuador (www.elnomad.com) and are avid travelers. So something related to that would ring true with our family. We don’t have family names that we like (I like my dad’s middle name for a middle name, Holmes, but my husband says it sounds like a real estate agency haha).

And guess what. She responded! (see the article here) It is fun to see what others come up with and I have enjoyed reading her suggestions as well as those of her readers! 

We are still completely undecided about what we are going to name our little man, but suggestions are always appreciated (and are fun to hear).


What would YOU name our baby?



2 comments: