Friday, March 1, 2013

Not Quite as Planned

This post should have been about baking cinnamon rolls in a wood-fired oven, however, sometimes our lives don't quite go as we plan. Why I am not writing about deliciously gooey rolls is no exception...

As of a couple of days ago I was heading to NC for a partnership building visit and to present at a NC study abroad conference.

Kesha had been sick, fever, tummy ache, cough... So when I presented with the same symptoms earlier this week I wrote them off as the same bug. However, by Tuesday night I was tossing and turning with a very uncomfortable pain in my abdomen and back. Wednesday morning I was nauseous, had no appetite, and a low grade fever (in addition to my previous symptoms ). I laid in bed all day resting (which is big for me). Worried about my abdominal pain with the pregnancy I made an appointment with my OBGYN for early evening.

Upon arrival I gave all my symptoms to my Doc, he pushed around on my abdomen, and then diagnosed me. Diagnosis? Appendicitis. My jaw could have hit the floor with shock. Since you cannot 100% confirm the diagnosis of appendicitis when pregnant (ultrasounds wont find the appendix because it is hidden by the enlarged uterus) my Doc called a surgeon for a consultation and second opinion. After a series of pushing on the most painful parts of my belly, and a couple of strange tests (such as jumping up and down on one foot), the surgeon came to the same conclusion.

Course of treatment? Surgery. Immediate surgery. And due to the pregnancy lycroscopic options were out.

Well, now that ruins quite a few plans, doesn't it?

I was prepped and in the operating room less than an hour later. Due to the pregnancy I could not be fully put under, so I received an epidural (the exact same one they give you for a c-section) and remained fully conscious during the procedure.

My OBGYN is a gynecological surgeon, so he assisted the primary surgeon. Both are well known for their skill and experience. The operation lasted about an hour.

I got to see my appendix after they removed it (remember, I'm awake for the entire operation), and half of it was completely black. They also showed it to Arturo and told him that if we had waited another hour or two we would have been dealing with a ruptured appendix. Thank goodness I opted for the 5:15 appointment, not the 6:15!

I stayed in the clinic on Wednesday night, all day Thursday, and Thursday night, finally being discharged Friday morning. The extra night's stay was to observe baby more than mommy.

It will be a tough recovery, as with any abdominal surgery, and it will be another couple of weeks before I am cleared to do anything physical activity-wise again (including travel). But the baby is doing well, there have been no signs of pre-term labor post surgery, and I am up and out of bed with help.

I am very disappointed about my NC trip, but am thankful that this all came to fruition here and not on an airplane or in the US! And am greatful for such good medical attention and care.

If you are in Cuenca looking for a Spanish-speaking OBGYN visit Dr. Xavier Molina at the Clinica Paucarbamba. Surgeon (again, Spanish-speaking) Dr. Vasquez also at the Clinica Paucarbamba.

Here are a few photos from our pregnancy appendicitis ordeal...
















6 comments:

  1. Wow! So glad you are OK. Sorry about the NC trip, but happy that the baby and you are dong OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine. Definitely not what you had planned! I'm glad you're all doing well. I hope you heal quickly and that things go according to plan from here on out!! Take care : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am glad you, baby, and dad are all okay. What a scary ordeal to go through.
    Take care and take it easy, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca you are so lucky! Take care of yourself so you can care for the family! Love to them for caring for you during this 'adventure'!

    Ace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you're okay! You're lucky they caught it before it ruptured, my husband ended up with a ruptured appendix! You're building a nice little collection of battle scars! I hope this pregnancy continues without so much drama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca, I'm so thankful that you and baby are okay. Rest, rest, rest; finishing out your pregnancy with as little stress as possible - that is the most important thing right now. Blessings to you, Arturo, Kesha and baby.

    ReplyDelete