Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ahhhh-heeeee... and we breathe




Aji (pronounced ahhhhh-heeee) is a wonderfully spicy pepper that is commonly used in Ecuadorian dishes. It grows on a tiny shrub-like plant and the peppers are a beautiful red color (I know all spicy peppers in Ecuador can be referred to as aji, but I'm specifically talking about aji aji, not any substitute!). For some reason Wikipedia tells me that it is a "Peruvian hot pepper", but those of us in Ecuador know that this is NOT the case!

But aji is not really the point of this blog. The word is.

Last night we had our third Lamaze class. Just to impress you all (because I know you'll be impressed), yes, I take Lamaze classes in Spanish. During this class we talked about natural forms of pain relief during labor. No, they do not use aji here to relive pain, sorry. Although in the jungle they put it in the kids' eyes when they're bad... and we thought sitting in the corner or going in to time out was punishment! Sorry, I tend to ramble and get off topic...

One of the methods that Lamaze is known for is, of course, breathing and using your breath to control your body. Well here they teach you to use the word aji when you breath in order to control your breath. I LOVE this! I think it is absolutely fantastic! When you breathe in you say ahhhh and when you breath out you say heeeee. Try it! It works fantastically!

I am really liking my Lamaze classes and Rocio is fantastic. She puts up with my childish giggling when she makes Arturo and me dance in the room or practice labor positions. Plus she is basically a doctor herself and can answer most of my medical questions, which I love!

Well, since the neighborhood seems to have quieted down a bit and I think we killed all of the mosquitoes that were attacking us in our room tonight, and I am finally tired, I think I'll try to get some sleep.

Until next time.
Keep breathing! (ahhhhh heeeeeee ahhhhhh heeeee)

2 comments:

  1. I very much enjoyed your post. I wanted to share that long ago I was trained in LaMaze to have each of my 2 children. I had normal, textbook labor and delivery without a single drug intervention. Labor is a real challenge but one that breathing and the concentration they teach and the support your partner learns to give WORKS! With or without drug intervention, you will do really well with the things you are learning. Best wishes to your new stage of life. You are launched on an incredible journey. Sharon in Oregon, dreaming of Cuenca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sharon for your kind words and your support! We are very excited for the arrival of our little one and I am sure everything will go just fine! I will keep you all updated as things progress and will post photos once she is here!

    Are you planning on moving to Cuenca, or just visited and wish you could come back?

    Say hi to the PNW for me! I miss it and all of the wonderful things it has to offer!

    Hugs from Cuenca!

    ReplyDelete