Sunday, December 15, 2013

31

I love birthdays. Always have. Always will. 

My whole life I have been the kind of person who puts others first. But on my birthday, it has been the one day that was about me, and only me. 

December 11th was my day. A day where friends and colleagues bring you balloons, flowers, cake, presents... And if these things doesn't happen on that specific day, well, then it doesn't really count because it's not your day anymore. 

I felt this way, that is, until I moved here.

In a collective culture it's never really all about you. 

Why completely inconvenience yourself for something that happens to everyone? Now, this is not to say that people don't do nice things here for others, or celebrate birthdays, but they're not going to break backs to make things happen on that specific day. For example, maybe everyone has to work and Tuesdays are not ideal for parties, or one of your friends has another dinner, so you do it on Friday when everyone can make it.

I also married in to a family that is not big on birthdays.

And let's face it. As you get older, it's not as much fun. I mean you can't really compare your 21st birthday and your 31st, right?

Then add in two children, and nothing is about you anymore. Not even your once coveted birthday day.

Enter giant brick wall we call reality that I slam in to... Yeah. Ouch.

Truth be told, my birthday day was about the worst day I've had all year. Kalah was sick and colicky, Arturo was sick, and Kesha was getting over a cold. I did get a big hug from Kesha and a quick "happy birthday" from Arturo in the morning. 

My birthday morning "selfie"
Although Arturo is not much of a birthday guy, he does make an effort for me, as he knows it means a lot to me. We tried to go out and do fun things, but Kalah was miserable. So, I locked myself inside the house with her and did nothing. She was so sickly I didn't even really get to eat lunch since she only wanted to be held (even though Arturo did bring me lunch). I ran in to our friends MIssy and Tony on the way home to let Kalah rest, and they had left me some flowers with the guard! It was a nice surprise, and very much so appreciated! 

Kalah had a high fever and we made an appointment for her to see the doctor. After the doctor we attempted to go out to dinner with Kesha, who hadn't napped and was grumpy and Kalah who was sick. Kesha whined the entire dinner and Kalah cried. Needless to say we ate as fast as we could. It was not a relaxing celebratory birthday dinner by any means. 

After that we went home and went to bed. No cake, no singing, no presents... I was pretty bummed out.

Cue Thursday.

I had a play date with my "gringa" mom friends who are also married to Ecuadorians. The had ordered an allergen free cake for me and made cupcakes for one of our friends, Karen, who had a birthday just before mine. I got a cake, a candle to blow out, and sung to! How fun! They were so kind and thoughtful, and the cake was wonderful!

Milan and his mom, Amilie, Kesha, and Rafael at my friend Judith's house on Thursday.

Then came Friday...
We had planned to have sort of a Christmas party with our friends. We decided to do hot chocolates for the kids and we were going to do dinner and wine. In my mind I thought of something simple, relaxed, nothing fancy. Well, I showed up at Alex's house and she had gone all out! 


Alex's Pinterest-perfect table setting

Alex's Christmas tree
(obviously has nothing to do with my birthday,
but it is pretty so I wanted to put a picture of it here)



Alex had her mom's housekeeper come help prepare dinner. There was wine and appetizers. The kids ate, we ate, and then... a cake, a candle, and a song! Pip and Arturo had found someone to make me an allergen-free birthday cake too! And oh what fun! We had hot chocolate (well, not me, but everyone else), wine, and cake! What a wonderful evening!  What wonderful friends!

Dinner

Friends having dinner at Alex's house

Juanacho and Joaquin having dinner
(Joaquin is chowing down on a cherry tomato)
Blowing out my candle! 

A shot of my allergen free cake

Making hot chocolates with Alex's daughter Juli.

An "artsy" shot of our hot chocolates.

Slices of allergen-free cake.

"Richie" showing off his hot chocolate.

So, maybe it's not all about the exact birthday day after all. It's about celebration, friendship, special moments, and a reason to get together (and eat cake). The day it happens isn't as important as the fact that a celebration happens. That people who love you take the time to make you feel loved and special, no matter the date.


Thank you everyone for a wonderful 3 days of turning 31. 
I love you all and can't wait for my next birthday!


A big extra special thank you to my parents who are gifting me a new camera for my birthday!!! I am so excited that I will finally be able to take amazing shots of my strange, yet intriguing life, and post quality pictures here on my blog!!!

2 comments:

  1. I also miss this aspect of "being spoiled on your birthday" in American culture. Also doesn't work that way in Denmark, and it annoys me a little bit. Here you're expected to bring cake to work (purchased or homemade, it doesn't matter) for your coworkers to enjoy on YOUR birthday. I also think it's basically unheard of to not plan, prepare, cook for, and accommodate your own party. I miss the days where friends put together a dinner, and a group gift, and all you had to do was show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. Sometimes, we think that the day is special, when it's really every day that's special. I'm glad your friends and family came together to celebrate your birthday and that it turned out to be a happy 31, even if just a few days late.

    ReplyDelete