Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Baby Blues and Struggles as a New Parent

I'm going to start this by saying I LOVE my daughter and I LOVE being a parent!

Having said that, I've really struggled with the baby blues. Those that knew Arturo and me prior to Kesha's arrival know that you couldn't keep us put. We were always moving, going to the gym, coordinating social activities, traveling, etc. We are also very committed to what we consider to be a more natural way of life.

Our commitment to a more natural way of life has led us to make certain parenting decisions. We are exclusively breastfeeding and plan on doing so at least for one year, if not until two years (which we have read is ideal). At this point we are not pumping and are only, literally, breastfeeding. We are also doing an "on demand" eating system. This means that we do not dictate when Kesh eats, she tells us when she is hungry. It has worked well for her and she is growing very quickly and is super healthy! (it has also worked wonders for me and losing my pregnancy weight!) We also seem to have formed an excellent bond and spend much of the time talking, reading, or singing. However, this plan severely restricts my lifestyle (wow, that sounds super selfish). I can't leave the house without her because she has no eating schedule. Once I decide to workout again I will have to pick activities that include her coming with me. This counts out gyms, pools, yoga classes that aren't mommy/baby (which I don't think they have in Cuenca, but I haven't looked yet), the oh so popular biloterapia, and other such activities. Basically, I can work out at home and walk with her.

At some point I would like to start pumping and mixing in bottle feeding (not switching entirely), but I'm not sure when to do it. I was hoping to do it at 6 months, but I really can't imagine having this schedule for the next 5 months... One of our solutions was to go to a 2-3 hour period every day where we feed her pumped breast milk from a bottle. However, I have huge hesitations about this. Primarily I feel like a selfish mother wanting to do this. I have no problem with breast milk production (I know, you wanted to know that), and no problems feeding my daughter. Why should I not give her all that I have? Arturo and I talked about how I could use those hours to have a bit of time for myself, sleep, workout, reduce my stress levels by getting a massage, my nails done, etc... things that would make me happier and thus make me a better mother. But I'm not sure what to think or to do about it. I haven't made up my mind yet. But I know I need to find some solution because I feel stuck in the house, which is a horrible feeling for someone as active and nomadic as me.

So, I am also struggling with is feeling like I'm stuck in the house. Because we're not pumping and I have to be with Kesh at all times we, naturally, have to think about her when we chose our "going out" destinations. We rarely take her out at night because of how cold it can get, which means our late night hamburger runs we did while I was pregnant are out of the question. I stay home while Arturo goes out. We took Arturo's cousins out to see the city of Cuenca the other night and while they got out of the car at each site, I sat in the car because it was too cold for Kesha. I know as she gets older this will be easier, but right now it's hard on me. Once again, I feel horrible saying these things because they're so selfish, but I just need to get them out.

The other thing I'm struggling with is pacifier usage. Kesha likes to "eat" to calm herself, which can get very tiring for mom. However, our pediatrician told us that he highly recommends NOT using a pacifier because they're like crack to babies. They get confused about if they're hungry or not and they become obsessed with their pacifier and it is very hard to wean them off of it. So we decided not to use one. But I can sit forever with Kesh "eating", half asleep. But when you try to pull her off she wakes up and is upset. This is especially tiring in the middle of the night... a pacifier sounds like such a good solution, but can I justify helping myself out by giving my baby the baby version of crack? (like I said, doctor's words, not mind haha)

Lastly, I'm struggling with baby talk. I'm not a baby talk person. I like to enunciate so Kesha hears correct sounds and the correct words. When people use baby talk I feel like they are talking to my child in the same way that they would to a really small, stupid dog. She is a person with a developing brain! Teach her the right way to speak please! Well, here baby talk is the norm and makes me want to rip my hair out! I have no idea how to ask people to please enunciate and speak to my child like a human being rather than a stupid animal, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Kesha is really a joy and puts up with a lot from us (like us dragging her at 2 weeks old to go shopping in la Casa de la Mujer and to the mercado 3 de Noviembre at 4 weeks old). She is a really good baby, isn't colicky, sleeps at least some every night, and is a good eater. She is social and does well when other people hold her (unless she's hungry) and is so much fun to watch grow and develop. But, as I'm sure everyone who is a parent can contest to, I am having a hard time adjusting and deciding how I want to parent. I'm sure I will figure it out, but I just needed to put my thoughts down somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Ah bless you... you follow a long line of women who are not as nomadic as you and STILL felt like that. Its totally normal. I told everyone I just felt like I had been reduced to a Boob...its tough and I admire you for putting it all out there. You are not selfish, you are adjusting.
    I have a friend who feels the same way you do about the pacifier. I think she pointed them towards their hands and a thumb or finger got chosen. Again..there is that issue of trying to break them of the habit. I used a pacifier, I had a clip on leash so we would not loose it... My mother Hated it.. I loved it.. when it became time to "break" the habit, I cut a tiny hole in it.. no more suction. I told them that it was broken and we could not get any more... of course you realize I let it go quite a while, 1 1/2 I think so thats me.. I took the easy way out. They are fine, no rotting crooked teeth, and seem pretty adjusted for having a mother like me! Call me and I will tell you how I taught my son to run the VCR so I could sleep later on Sat. mornings! Big HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I swear I posted a comment earlier...okay I'll try again...this time from the end to the beginning! If you're not a baby talk person, don't feel like you have to...but also don't make a big deal if other people want to do it at her! But also keep in mind that no matter how much you stick to speaking correctly to her, she will come up with her own words for certain things, it's just what babies do! Don't worry about using or not using a pacifier, she'll eventually find her hands and she'll suck on those, my mother in law tried to force a binky on my son and I almost killed her! Daemon has been a thumb sucker since he was in the womb, so I just never tried to break him of it, and he only does it when he's going to sleep and he has his blankie! I totally understand that feeling of being stuck in the house, but trust me, it does pass! eventually you will be able to get back to normal daily life, normal activities, just normal! Also, with the bottle thing, do at least introduce her to the idea of a bottle soon...I've had friends whose babies WOULD NOT take a bottle, but if you're concerned about nipple confusion and such, try these http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535813&parentCategoryId=85181&categoryId=85207 they are AWESOME! They are the most like the breast that I have ever used! The baby actually has to work to get something out of them, just like with nursing and she uses the same muscles as when she's nursing, but start with just a couple ounces in a bottle at a time maybe once a day...and as for exclusively breastfeeding, AWESOME!! It really is best for the baby! And when it comes to on demand feeding, having done it myself, (much to the chagrin of my in-laws who were convinced that scheduled was the way to go) the baby will eventually settle into her own schedule and your milk let down will adjust itself to accommodate the change in the schedule, and once that happens, you won't be so tethered to the house! It does get better! And if you ever need someone to commiserate with, you can always find me on facebook! And lastly, I totally understand the guilt, but just know that you don't have to be perfect but take solace in the fact that as long as you're doing the best you know how, and everybody makes it through the day alive, you're doing GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Becca,
    I'm sorry that you're having a bit of a struggle. I have been taking care of babes for 10 years now as a nanny and have seen Mom's do all kinds of different things. I don't think pumping is a bad idea... I am going to have to do it right away because I'm in class a couple of nights a week and will have to leave the hubby with some milk! It might give you a bit of time to go for a walk by yourself, take a bath, sleep or reboot physically and emotionally (this is super important for me and will be something I will have to force myself to do for sanity). As for the pacifier issue..You're doc is silly to call them crack. Kids do get hooked on them and we're also hoping to go it without them-the more simplicity the better! Most kids will figure out how to self-soothe on their own (by fussing/crying it out or sucking on a finger or thumb.. you could encourage her to do this??) But, that being said, the little one I am nannying for (who's now almost 5) love, love, loved her binki's! There's a photo of her on my website (www.photographyinthemoment.com) with a pile of them. Weaning her off them at the age of 3 wasn't that hard... a few rough days and then it was over. I'm sure for her parents it was a worth the trade off for sleep in the first months. Finally, as for your frustration in being stuck... I anticipate that this is something I will have a challenge with as well. It sounds like you guys are working out a slow routine and pattern and everything will be okay. In the meantime... order yourself a couple of yoga DVD's or the Tracy Anderson Post-Pregnancy DVD (I got it already and am excited to use it...you can watch videos of her on youtube and check out her website (http://tracyandersondvd.myshopify.com/products/tracy-anderson-post-pregnancy-workout) and try to embrace the at-home-workout for now. You're a great Mama, don't feel guilty or selfish! and don't worry, this will all work out soon. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete