Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lasagna Roll-ups (recipe)

I'm a Pinterest addict. I'm on it all the time and introduce everyone I can to its sinful existence.

Lately these recipes for lasagna roll-ups have been popping up, so I decided to put my own twist on the recipe and give them a try!

I used what I had in the fridge and pantry, so mine were made spinach lasagna sheets and stuffed with marscapone, shredded cheese, chorizo, mushrooms, and basil. I topped them off with a homemade chunky tomato sauce.

Since many of my friends (and their family members) are constantly commenting on my cooking I thought I would share some of my secrets (and recipes) with you!


Becca's "Whatever's in the Fridge" Lasagna Roll-Ups

Step 1: choose your lasagna noodles
I went with spinach because it's what we had, but this will work with any type of lasagna noodle





















Step 2: choose your filling and prep ingredients separately
My stuffing consisted of the following:
- chorizo sliced, quartered, and sautéed
- mushrooms, chopped (they should also be sautéed, but my pregnancy brain led me to completely fail on this one and I stuck them in raw)
- half of a small container of marscapone cheese
- quarter of a block of cheese, grated
- a hand full of basil leaves, rinsed, dried, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste





























Step 3: mix all stuffing ingredients together in a bowl

















Step 4: prep your sauce of choice
I chose to do a homemade chunky tomato sauce, but you can do whatever sounds best to you! You can also purchase a pre-made sauce to save time!
I used the following ingredients for my sauce...
- fresh tomatoes, cored
- tomato paste
- old red wine
- garlic (2-3 cloves)
- white onion (1)


































Step 5: Cook your noodles
Simply follow the directions for cooking your lasagna sheets. I would recommend slightly undercooking them as you will put them in the oven for a bit. Don't forget to salt and oil your water!


Step 6: Roll 'em up!
Pull your noodles out, separate (watch out for burning your hands, they'll be hot!), fill, roll, and place in a pyrex baking dish.




















Step 7: Cover and cook...
Cover your filled noodles with your sauce. Place the dish in the oven at around 350 and bake for 10-15 minutes. You are welcome to add cheese to the top (I opted not to this time, but have since).






















Step 8: Serve up with sides of your choice!
I chose beans sautéed with a bit of honey, salt, and pepper

2 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I was always impressed with the caliber of your cooking. :) Approximately how much tomato paste do you put in the sauce?
    - Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kelly! It depends on the paste that you buy. Some come pre sweetened and have a strong flavor, some have a weaker flavor and lack the "sugar" content. I would put in around 4Tbs if I am making the quantity in the picture, but it depends on your personal "gusto"! Also, if you get a paste that is not sweet you might want to consider adding a bit of sugar to your sauce to counteract tomato acidity.

    ReplyDelete